|Black Turtle Beans, tasty, cheap and very nutritious.|
Most vegetarians are fully aware of the high nutritional value of beans, and black turtle beans are no exception. Not only are these beans an excellent source of dietary fibre, iron, potassium and thiamine, they do not contain any saturated fats, sodium or cholesterol.
Although black beans are high in protein they are not a complete protein in that they do not contain all nine amino acids. In this respect, specifically for vegetarians and vegans, they should be combined with other ingredients such as dairy or whole grains.
Black turtle beans, like many other varieties, are known to cause flatulence. Nonetheless, you can reduce the amount of gases caused by black beans by changing the water 2 to 3 times when soaking, or by including fennel, ginger or cumin when the beans are cooking.
Many people just add black beans to soups or stews, in the Caribbean however, black beans are used extensively to create a number of dishes. They are a very versatile ingredient, you can make a range of dishes with black turtle beans such as crumbles, dips, pies, salads, etc. The possibilities are endless..
If you're having trouble finding black beans in your area, or would like more black bean recipes, let Amazon help.
Recipe: How to cook black turtle beans.
Some nutrients are lost during the cooking process, however, if you soak the beans for longer periods this will reduce the cooking time, thus less nutrients are lost.
1. Rinse off the beans to remove any debris. Soak the beans three parts cold water to one part beans. You will need to soak for at least three hours but overnight is better, remember to change the water two or three times in order to avoid flatulence.
2. After soaking, rinse the beans thoroughly.
3. Add the beans to a suitably sized pan and and then cover with the cold water. Two parts water to one part beans. Bring to the boil and then turn down the heat and cover and simmer for approximately 2 hours.
4. Remove from the heat and drain. The beans should be tender enough to crush with the back of a folk.
How to cook black beans and recipe for black bean and avocado salad.
Black bean dip with chipotle recipe.
2 cups of black turtle beans, cooked.
1/2 tbsp of cumin.
1 garlic clove, crushed.
1 tbsp of chipotle chilli, chopped.
1/2 cup of smooth peanut butter.
1/4 cup of lemon juice.
1 1/2 tbsp of virgin olive oil.
1/4 cup of water.
pinch of salt and pepper.
1/4 cup of parsley, chopped.
1. Peel and separate the garlic, then place in the microwave for 15 seconds.
2. With the exception of the parsley, place all the ingredients into a food processor, and process until a nice, smooth consistency has been reached. If required, add more water.
3. Tip the mixture into a suitably sized bowl, cover with cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes. When ready for serving, sprinkle over the parsley.
Serve with chopped fresh vegetables such as carrots, or chips.